Production Line Balancing And Its Benefits
Simply put, the production line balancing is a strategy that allows making the production lines flexible enough to allow them to absorb both the internal irregularities as well as the external irregularities.
How to prepare yourself for your Six Sigma certification.
- the static balance: The static balance refers to the long-term differences in capacity during a period that shouldn't be inferior to several hours. It is said to be a static imbalance when people, machines, or even workstations are underutilized.
- the dynamic balance: The dynamic balance refers to the short-term differences in capacity during a period that shouldn't exceed hours. It is said to be a dynamic imbalance when product variations and mixes are done during the work time and that aren't related to the product mix.
Take a look at these free online certifications that can improve your resume.
When an organization or company adopts the production line balancing, you need to note that this strategy works under two different circumstances:
#1: Cycle Time Restriction:
#2: Precedent Constraint:
Read more about value stream mapping.
Simply put, adopting the production line balancing has a lot of benefits for the organizations. These include:
- Deciding on the number of workstations necessary to improve the final output
- A more effective management of the workloads among assemblers
- Decrease the production costs
- Recognize and determine when there is a bottleneck
- Deciding on the tasks assigned to each specific workstation so that the idle time is minimum.
Discover everything you need to know about the Pareto analysis and the Pareto chart.
In addition, workers should be trained to perform a manual checkup of all the machines they will be using each day before they start to work. This will prevent equipment failures during the work time.
Overall, the application of the production line balancing involves some science but it can also be considered an art. The reality is that labor flexibility is an asset for the management since workers will need and will know how to inspect all the machines every single day.